Saturday, February 11, 2012

Guest Author- Stephanie Beck

Today I have the pleasure of introducing multi-published Stephanie Beck to my readers.

Welcome to  my blog.

When Stephanie Beck's mother told her to quit whining about less than perfect endings and write her own neither of them could have guessed what would happen. Ten years later that advice has become a fulltime passion and occupation. With a wonderful husband and three beautiful children, the fulltime status makes for very long days, but she breaks up the romance and steamy scenes with knitting, walking, sewing and reading. 



Oh how I love a series

By Stephanie Beck

I’ve asked myself the series vs. stand alone story question a lot lately, probably because I’ve been writing a lot of follow up stories in the last few months. I don’t have a direct series where I follow one character specifically, but I am continuing worlds and allowing old characters to visit.

When I pick up a story, I find myself reaching for my old favorites, which tend to be series (Charlaine Harris, Mary Janice Davidson, Janet Evonovich, JD Robb, Shelly Laurenston).  I might walk by individual stories from other great authors, but if one of these ladies has a new book out in the series I’m reading, I will drop what I’m doing to catch up with my old favorites.

Why? What is it about a series that entices such reader loyalty?
Upon thinking about it, I’ve found for me it’s time. I’ve been following some series for over a decade. That’s crazy for me to even think about, but it’s true. I can’t tell you what happens in each story, but I know the basic story of this fictional character’s life. I’ve laughed and cried with them. I’ve been to their weddings, watched them have their first children, and had my heart speed when they bust heads. In short, these darn characters have become friends. I’d probably even invite a few to Christmas at my house if I could.

In a very telling admission, I haven’t tried a new series in probably three years. Why? It’s complicated. I know there are fabulous new series out there and I’ve picked up a few of the individual books, but I hold myself back from falling in love. How many story lines can I be devoted to and still give them enough attention? (Rereading that makes me sound a little crazy, but it’s true). Le sigh, one day I’ll make the plunge again.

Have you read any new series lately? Do you prefer to follow one character or couple or do you like when the world is maintained, but with new characters building the world?
 
More than an Elf
By Stephanie Beck

After surviving the War Between the States, Jessica wanted nothing more than to experience adventure and pleasure. Instead, she nearly freezes to death in a cabin, and then finds herself rescued by elves from a different land. Angry and resentful, Jessica only wants privacy. With the help of an elven fairy godmother, she settles into her own home, ready to contemplate the rest of her life.

Joshua, the Reclusive Wizard, stumbles upon the path to Jessica’s new home and finds himself face-to-face first with a shovel, then with his destiny. The chemistry between he and Jessica is instant, and Joshua sees a bright future between them.

When Joshua uses his magic to take his beloved on a sexy and fun excursion to the human world, a side trip to Jessica's Atlanta turns ugly, and suddenly, Jessica is confronted by her own dark history. Disgusted with herself for past dalliances, Jessica sends Joshua away. She needs time to come to terms with her past, but tapped out of magic and weak, Joshua might not be there when she’s ready.






Find more about Stephanie at www.stephaniebeck.net and also on Face
book 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for having me, HC :)

    Stephanie Beck
    www.stephaniebeck.net

    ReplyDelete