Monday, November 3, 2014

In The Hot Seat With H.C. Brown today is author T.K Lawyer


Welcome!

Tell us a little about yourself.   

          

Bio:  T.K. Lawyer has always had an interest in the unusual, the unexplained and anything paranormal from a very young age. 
She creates romantic, emotion-filled worlds filled with passion, seduction and tons of affection.  Strong, alpha males willing to do anything to please their feisty mates regardless how their mates test their limits are the premise of each of her books.  She likes to say how each of her unique characters tells his/her own enchanting story and she is just the vessel that writes it all down. 
When not writing, she is likely spending time with her husband and best friend, watching paranormal themed T.V. shows, thinking up new scenes for future books, or lavishing enormous amounts of attention and affection to her furry German-Shepherd mix dog.
She has several books in the works for the future including four more half-wolf stories and two Angel series.  Currently, she is working on the first of her 5 book Guardian Angel series.
 
Q:  Can you tell our readers a little about your writing? What genres do you enjoy writing?
I write paranormal romance.  I tried writing a non-fiction book 8 to 10 years ago but never finished it.  I got an idea about 5 years ago and wrote it down while I was in my car.  I never did finish that plot or even start the story but it got me going on several other ideas and I have about 30+ book ideas now that I will be completing and publishing in the future. 
Q:  Do you write on a schedule or when the Muse decides?
My ideas come to me in a sporadic manner.  They are very spontaneous.  I try to keep a notepad or paper around me at all times in case the mood strikes.  I have had scenes come to me while driving in my car, working out on my elliptical machine, from vivid dreams, or even from things I’ve encountered out in public. 
Q: Can you tell us about your writing process, for example, do you write an outline first?
No.  I have never used an outline.  I think an outline would be too confining and it would block my creativity.  I’m all about freedom to create and expand upon what I already have.  The scenes that I come up with are put in order of when I feel they will occur in the book.  Then I end up “filling in” the spaces between the scenes so that everything runs cohesive.
Q:  What qualities do you instill in your heroes?
All of my heroes are alpha males.  Every one of them is loving, loyal, protective and willing to do just about anything for their mate.  The only difference between my male angels and my male wolf-shifters is that the male angels have an abundance of patience in comparison to the male wolf-shifters.  Even so, my angels are tested and sometimes their patience runs out. 
Q. Coffee or tea?
Both, actually.  I have one or the other depending on the time of day.
Q. Beach or countryside?
I like both but my preference is the countryside.  A cozy log cabin away from the busy city life can be a sexy, romantic rendezvous.  It can also be a quiet, relaxing vacation away from people and just the right combination to spark creativity.
Q. Do you write about the places you know or prefer to take your readers to exotic places?
I write about places I know or places I’ve visited because I want a realistic aspect to my books. 

Q: Where do you get your inspiration?
Nightfall was inspired by my German-shepherd mix dog, actually.  I would look at her and wonder ‘what if’ and the story just took off from there.  My angel books are inspired by my love for angels and from the many books I’ve read about them.  I also get story lines and inspiration from real life events. 
Q: Would you change anything in your life to make writing easier.
Yes, if I could I would not work full-time so that I could concentrate on what I love most- writing.


Q: We have all suffered submission rejections. How do you cope? Do you have any advice to other writers on coping with rejection?
It’s hard being rejected and it’s hard not to take it personal when you put so much time, effort and energy into something that someone thinks is not good enough to sell.  It still gets to me, but it helps to realize that not everyone has the same tastes and ideas as me.  There are so many publishers out there and they translate into unforeseen opportunities.  You just have to keep trying and plugging away and someone will eventually bite.  Unfortunately, things don’t happen quickly and having a lot of patience helps.  In the meantime search for other publishers or agents that might be interested in your work and keep trying till one offers you a contract.


Q: What do you like to read and who are your favourite authors?
I’m so busy working full-time, writing and marketing my book and taking care of my family that I have very little time to read anymore but when I do get a chance I try to read a few chapters from some of my favourite authors, which are:  Felicity Heaton,  Jordan Summers, Eve Langlais and J.S. Scott to name a few.


Q: Do you write one novel at a time or do you move between works in progress?
Actually, I do both.  I write new ideas/start new books when I’m inspired or when the mood hits me.  While I’m in the process of self-editing a book, I may get an inspiration for a scene for another book and I’ll switch to that one for a short period of time.  This helps keep my energy up and my interest going and it keeps me from dragging from the gruelling, unhappy process of editing.



Q: Do you have times when the Muse is away on holiday?
Yes, I had a short stint of writer’s block recently which was funny because I never thought it would happen to me.  You see, stories came to me so quickly and fast and I thought I was immune (smile) but boy, when it hit me, it hit me hard.  I was without an idea for a period of 4 to 5 very long months!  Then one day I was in my car and- bam- a scene entered my mind and I ran with it.

Q. What motivates you to write?
I’ve always liked writing though I never thought I’d venture into a career doing it.  I love creating the characters and entering their worlds, recording it all down on paper.  It’s amazing how a few, simple paragraphs can create adventures and spark interest.  The creative process is amazing and inspires me to continue writing.

Q. What advice would you give to unpublished authors approaching an e publisher?
Just do it!  Don’t let anything get in the way of your dreams.  Send out your queries and synopsis to those publishers interested in your genre and then give yourself a deadline to when, if you haven’t received a contract, you will look at other options.  I was ready to self-publish if I had no ‘takers.’
Q: Is there anything you would like to share with us about upcoming releases?
I am working on a 5 book series involving Guardian Angels and this will be my next release.  After that, I may return back to a wolf shifter novel- not sure.  But I do have 3 more wolf shifter novels and another 5 book series of angels that will be published in the future as well as several stand-alone angel books.

Q: Can you tell us a little about your current novel? What inspired you to write this story?
 My German-shepherd mixed dog was the inspiration for Nightfall.  She does things any dog would do but watching her watch me and follow me around everywhere gave me the idea of a wolf shifter who is taken in as a pet by a female he is strangely drawn to.
Blurb:
Tamara’s spicy scent thrills, seduces and weakens him like no other.  She is his and he wants her.  Unfortunately, she is done with men.  Tamara’s been burned too many times in the past and she’s not looking for a relationship…..ever.  But when she finds a stray dog on her doorstep she decides she wants a relationship with a male, after all- that of pet and pet owner.
Josh is not a dog and he has no interest in staying her pet.  He has one burning desire- Tamara- in his bed, nightly and permanently.  He will stop at nothing to convince Tamara they are better together and that he needs her, forever. 
Their paths are intertwined and their future is inevitable but will Tamara allow Josh to love, cherish and protect her?  Or will she say good-bye to the amazing, dedicated man whose loyalty and sweet promises could shatter her walls completely and consume her with desire? 


Excerpt:
Josh waited thirty minutes to make sure she didn’t change her mind, come home, and surprise him. After sensing no car pulling into the driveway, he stood on his hind legs and blissfully returned to his primary form. Arching his back, he flexed his muscles and luxuriated in the freedom of being on two legs instead of four paws.
Josh wasn’t comfortable being a wolf for an extended period. It was more natural being in human form. However, since he approached Tamara as a “dog” he found himself having to endure lengthy periods looking like a canine.
Lord, this is hard. Watching her undress, twice, almost did him in. Viewing her delicious assets, Josh found himself breathless…literally. He’d never survive another striptease.
Josh shook his head. What started out innocent was now more complicated than ever. Simply searching for an escape, he wound up at her home, nightly—a home he didn’t know, owned by a stranger.
The house’s delicious, sweet scent wafted through its walls, calling his name and drawing him like a siren.
He’d run for the trees beyond the hills, but his body betrayed him, gravitating toward the house and curving his gait to it. He’d find himself standing on her doorstep every time.
The intoxicating, sensual, musky odor tantalized and aroused his senses, mesmerized him, and also, somehow, brought him peace. He found the scent comfortable and familiar, but over time it became more than that. Her scent was not only arousing, but it also could, and often did, change at any minute. Like an amazing lover, it teased and played with him, setting his nerves on edge and challenging his restraint. One second it was warm and cozy. Next it was spicy and sexy, and then it was happy and festive.
What it promised was much more than purely physical pleasure. It was something he searched for, but having found it, he now hesitated. He was confused at the demanding intensity of his feelings for the stranger who dwelled in the house. One thing was for sure—he wanted, no needed, to bathe and luxuriate in the unusually stimulating scent daily, and preferably, on top of or underneath the female who lived in the household.


Buy Link:  http://luminositypublishing.com/product/nightfall






No comments:

Post a Comment